The Pitfalls of DIY Web Design Services
This is the age of the easy web presence. With a little research and a small budget, it’s not difficult at all to get a website. However Easy =/= Good. Let’s just face it. We like to think we’re good at everything, but we just aren’t. When you use a service like Squarespace, Wix, or WordPress, you’ll be online fast. That’s true. But there’s so much more you can get out of a website by using a professional web design/development firm rather than hastily throwing up a generic template site. A good firm will have multiple professionals with different skills working on your web presence. To name a few of those skills:
1. User Experience – We don’t often think about how things flow. We take it for granted. Having someone who thinks about the amount of clicks it takes to buy a product or the size of links on a mobile site (to name two of a million things associated with user interfaces) can make a huge difference in conversions and traffic on your site.
2. Graphic Design – Most of these DIY sites offer simple templates. While easy to use, they just don’t stand out in a crowd. A skilled graphic designer will make your website beautiful and give it its own unique flair, making it memorable and functional.
3. Copywriting – Words matter. A web design firm will make sure your site’s content is concise, keyword-rich, and tailored specifically for your target demographic. Well written copy always leaves an impression.
4. Development/Programming – Another problem with template sites is the restricted functionality. Not everything is covered by plugins and modules on these DIY websites. Chances are, a good developer will be able to bring anything you think of to life. A dedicated programmer can bring your site beyond the basics and make sure it works every time.
5. Marketing – So you have a website up on squarespace and your business is off the ground! So why aren’t you making any sales? Your site needs to be optimized for search engines and your url needs to be broadcast out there for people to see! Without a marketing professional, that new site that you’re so proud of my never be seen by anyone other than you.
Play it safe. If you’re serious about your business, use a web design/development firm. Don’t fall to the alluring price point of DIY web services. This post is a paraphrased reblog of this article by Jess DelBalzo on news360.com